Birds Writing and Drawing Prompts: Year-Round Bird Study for Kids
The Great Backyard Bird Count takes place each February, but anytime of the year is a great time to study birds with our Birds Writing and Drawing Prompts.
Kids learn best through experiencing things in their world, and that’s why a study of birds is perfect for young learners. No matter where you live, your kids will see and hear birds right in their own backyard. Add in some great books and online resources and a study of birds expands even more.
Here are some of our favorite resources for ornithology (share that word with your kids!)
- The National Audubon Society
- National Geographic Kids: Birds
- Bird Sounds
- Birds for Kids by Learn Bright
- Bird Names and Sounds by Kiddopedia
- Identify Fun Facts About Birds by Nat Geo Kids
Between watching and identifying birds right around them and studying others found across the world, your young learners will discover how similar and different the world can be all at the same time!
Birds Writing and Drawing Prompts Printables
For kids who dread writing, know that by combining drawing along with copywork and other writing makes it more fun for them! It also helps them to develop their fine motor skills. Often, we dread the things that are hard for us, so strengthening these types of skills goes a long way to taking away “the dread” of it.
Our Birds Writing and Drawing Prompts Printables feature drawing, writing, and coloring pages for nineteen different birds. With two pages for each bird, your child will
- Color a picture of each bird
- Write a few things they like the featured bird
- Trace the capital and lowercase letter each bird’s name begins with and practice writing them
- Trace the name of the bird and write it
- Draw the bird themselves using a simple drawing as a model on that page
Tips & Recommendations
We recommend this printable pack for early elementary students.
Don’t forget that all of our printable packs can be reused over and over in your homeschool. If you have multiple students, this is an excellent value for your homeschool family.
Want to use this in a classroom? No problem, snag a classroom license here.
Due to the nature of digital products, we do not offer refunds. All sales are final.